Top 10 Best Solar Lights in 2020| Buyer’s Guide
Many people are opting to use solar lights, instead of electric, for different purposes around their homes and businesses. Not only is it environmentally responsible, it’s also cheaper in the long run.
If you have decided you would like to make the switch, or are just looking to add some extra lighting without the extra expense on your utility bills, you need the best solar lights for your specific purpose. Sticking to some key features, which are outlined in this guide, you’ll find the perfect ones to light your way.
What to Look For?
You may think that all solar lights are basically the same, so the decision shouldn’t be difficult. However, the truth is, not all solar lights are created equally.
To ensure you are getting the most efficient, brightest solar light for your dollar you should consider these key characteristics and features before deciding on your final purchase.
- You may also be looking for best solar path lights
Wired Vs. Wireless
The point of having solar lights for some people is to have the flexibility to move the lights freely, wherever they wish. This is possible if you have wireless solar lights. However, if you purchase a set of solar lights which are wired together, this becomes impossible. You will have to install them in close proximity to each other and will only be able to cover as much space as the cord will allow. It is ideal to have wireless solar lights.
Run Time and Solar Panel Size
This should be a definite consideration when choosing which solar lights to purchase. If your lights only shine for a short period of time before needing re-charging, there isn’t much point to having them. You will want solar lights which last for hours instead of only minutes. Ideally, the solar lights you choose should last throughout the night, dusk until dawn. The run time is affected by the size of the solar panel and how much solar energy it can absorb throughout the day. Look for larger solar panels to do a better job.
It may seem odd that there is a battery within the solar lights if you are aiming to cut down on costs, however, the battery included with most solar lights is a re-chargeable battery that charges with sunlight.
The battery helps increase the time period the light from your solar lighting lasts. Some of the best solar lights include a re-chargeable battery to keep light flowing smoothly each night.
If you are looking for wall mounted solar lights, you should ensure you will be able to easily mount them where you wish. Some solar lights include mounting hardware or brackets to make the job easier. If you are installing solar lights in the ground, look for ones which include ground spikes to keep them in place in the ground.
If you are planning to leave your solar lights out year-round and you live in a climate where you have extreme weather changes, you will want to make sure the lights you choose can withstand the weather. Consider if the lights will be damaged in cold, wintery conditions or if heavy rain will destroy their capabilities.
Although not necessary, this is a feature which you will appreciate having for security purposes. This means that the solar lights will store the energy and output light when motion is detected nearby. The distance at which the lights will detect movement will vary, so that is also a consideration. If you know you will be installing the lights at a little distance from where you want motion detected, you will need to ensure the distance they will work at is appropriate for you space.
Various Lighting Modes
Consider solar lights which allow you to change the lighting mode to whatever is suitable for your space. There could be a dim setting, an auto dusk until dawn option, motion only lighting or any combination of modes. First consider where you will be installing the solar lights and how you wish to effectively light that space. This will determine which lighting modes will be helpful for your situation.
Most people don’t know this; however, the brightness of solar lighting is measured in lumens. The higher the number of lumens, the brighter the light shines. If you don’t wish to have blaring bright lighting then aim for a lower lumen number, whereas if you want something as close to electric lighting as possible, choose a higher lumen count. If the information is available, it is also useful to know exactly how many LED bulbs are in the solar light since this will also be an indication of how brightly they will shine.
Lifespan of the LED bulbs
Even though you are purchasing solar lights, it is important to know that they do not last forever. The LED bulbs which output the lighting have a limited lifespan. Check into the expected lifespan of the included LED bulbs because this will give you an idea of how long you can use your solar lighting before needing to either replace the bulbs or replace the entire light. Some lights are not replaceable so you would have no choice but to replace the entire light, which can be costly over time.
The Best Solar Lights to Consider
**Below, you’ll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer’s reviews on Amazon
URPOWER Solar Lights 8 LED Wireless Waterproof Motion Sensor Outdoor Light
The new, improved version of the URPOWER solar lights means they are larger and span a greater distance to give you better lighting options. They are completely weather-proof so you can leave them outdoors all year long. The large solar panel takes in sunlight and will charge the 8 LED lights in about seven hours. The wireless design allows you to space the lights out as you wish or even use in totally different spaces, since they come in a pack of four. You can easily access the interior part of the light to change out bulbs, etc. with the included key pin.
- Comes in a convenient four pack
- Each light feature 8 LED bulbs for added brightness
- Large solar panel for charging up during daylight
- Weather-proof for year-round use no matter the climate
- Wireless design allows freedom of installation
- Includes installation screws
- Up to 12 hours of lighting after sunset
- Easy access with a key pin
- Features motion sensors at a span of 10 feet for additional security
- LED bulbs last up to 50,000 hours or 5 years
- Automatic on and off
- Not very esthetically pleasing; may stand out mounted on the side of your home
- Wall mount only
- No “off” switch if you wish to have the lights disabled
- Can take 6 to 8 hours to fully charge
- Only lights up when it detects motion
Litom 24 LED Solar Lights
With 24 LED bulbs per solar light, you will definitely experience a well lit space. The solar panel is large and will charge the light to produce lighting for seven to eight hours at a time. There are no wires to worry about when installing these lights on your home or around your space. This solar light boasts three operation modes. The medium light mode is great for pathways, along the driveway etc., the dim mode is for along railings or decks and motion mode will turn the light on only when it detects movement at a 10 to 26 foot span. They include screws for easy installation.
- Output bright light at 526 lumens
- 24 LED bulbs in each light
- Wireless design for flexibility of installation and usage
- 3 modes for customization; full mode, dim mode and motion sensor only
- Batteries inside are replaceable after time to continue usage
- Weather proof for most climates
- Not cost effective since they come in singles
- The LED bulbs have a 2 year life expectancy
- Won’t fully charge if not in direct sunlight; could be a problem in winter months
- Light output will lessen with time
InnoGear Upgraded Solar Lights 2-in-1 Waterproof Outdoor Landscape Lighting
These solar lights come in a pack of two and feature a no-tool installation option with an added stake for use in the ground. This makes lighting up your driveway or pathway super simple. The solar panel is adjustable so you can catch just the right angle and trap in the sunlight energy. Inside each light you will find four LED bulbs which will give you a spotlight effect when lit up. Their weather-proof design allows you to leave these out year-round without fear of the climate destroying them. There is an on/off switch to activate when the light is absorbing energy and outputting light and when you would like to not use it at all. There are two built-in rechargeable batteries to lengthen the running time of each light.
- Adjustable solar panel to catch the sunlight wherever you install the light
- Ground stakes included for quick and easy installation
- Includes screws if you wish to wall mount
- On/Off switch to control when you want to have the lights operating or not
- Weather-proof to withstand year-round use
- Two rechargeable batteries inside to lengthen running time
- High/Low light option
- At low light, lasts up to 12 hours
- Wireless design for flexibility in placement
- Angle of the light is adjustable up to 90°
- Takes 8 hours to fully charge to get the longest running time
- Output of 200 lumens per light
- Bulbs don’t appear to be replaceable; once burnt out you’ll need to replace the whole light
- Ground stakes are plastic, not the sturdiest for extreme wind or rainfall
- Small span of light compared to others since it is a spotlight effect
- If ON switch is not turned on, the light will not charge or output light
URPOWER 20 LED Outdoor Solar Motion Sensor Lights
This super value four pack of solar lights features motion sensors as well as a 20 LED bulb panel. These can be turned on or off depending if you wish to have the motion sensors working or not. They are wall mounted to give a downlight effect and come with an expansion arm should you need that for your space. They detect motion as close as 10 feet away and will illuminate right away. The light will stay on for about 35 seconds after movement has no longer been detected before shutting off again.
- Super value four pack may be all you need
- Includes mounting screws and extension arm
- Motion sensor for excellent security and safety
- Downlight won’t wake neighbors
- Stainless steel body for excellent weather protection for many years
- Large solar panel to collect sunlight energy easier than older version
- Battery inside is replaceable and lengthens run time
- Lasts up to 10 hours of lighting
- Only features motion sensor mode; won’t stay lit
- Downlight only means less lighting span
- Only outputs about 100 lumens per light
- Takes two or three days of sunlight to charge before first use
- Solar panel needs direct sunlight to charge properly
- White design stands out instead of blending in against your home’s exterior
6. Lampat 62 LEDs Motion Sensor Solar Lights
For many years, Lampat has been one of the biggest names when it comes to the production of efficient solar-powered lights, and they have further demonstrated their continued brilliance with this incredible solar motion sensor light. This unit is solar-powered, which enables you to utilize solar energy in powering this sensor light. It is an excellent way to illuminate your garden whilst economising electricity.
In addition, this solar motion sensor light from Lampat utilizes two dissimilar light modes to provide you with the required brightness for different lighting conditions. Besides, the super effective sensor of this LED light enables it to turn to bright automatically when any movement is detected.
Furthermore, this Lampat motion sensor LED light is extremely easy to install as it comes with screws and anchors required to install the light wherever you want. It also comes with a user manual which makes set up and installation very simple. Without a doubt, this model is probably the best security lights on the market, and it utilizes a wide angle which ensures you get sufficient brightness.
InnoGear Solar Gutter Lights Wall Sconces with Mounting Pole
These solar lights offer something a little different in terms of design. They are mounted using a pole to give almost a streetlight effect. The downlight outputs over 450 lumens each, for a bright illumination wherever you install them.
They are tightly sealed and can withstand most weather conditions, including heavy rainfall. Each light has 36 LED lights which are covered in a diamond light shade to filter the light with just enough softness. The mounting poles are made of aluminum to also stand up against extreme weather.
For complete customization of use, there are four working modes; ¼ brightness, ½ brightness, dim lighting with bright light motion sensor or lights off with bright motion sensor.
- Four operation modes to customize usage for your needs
- Super bright output at over 450 lumens per light
- Mounting pole included to install lights in as much sunlight as possible
- Each light feature 36 LED lights
- Weather-proof, wireless design
- Built-in replaceable battery
- Motion sensor up to 16 feet
- Lasts from dusk until dawn
- May not fully charge or output light for as long if weather is cloudy or overcast
- Must turn on the ON switch before use or it will not charge or output light
- If using ½ brightness mode, lighting may not last all night long
- Bulbs don’t appear to be replaceable
- White design stands out against home’s exterior; not esthetically pleasing
- Wall mount only
Aootek New Upgraded 36 LEDs Motion Sensor Solar Light
While Aootek isn’t really a big player in solar lights manufacturing, this new upgraded solar motion sensor light from the company is quite impressive. With a unique wide angle design, this Led light provides a larger luminosity coverage, something not often seen in rival models. Besides, it features some corner LEDs which improve the overall efficiency of the solar light.
Furthermore, this excellent unit comes with an effective motion sensor which detects movement as far as 26 ft. Also, this unit comes with a very long lasting rechargeable battery, which ensures that you get longer usage. In addition, it features 3 option modes which means you can choose the ideal mode depending on your different needs.
Additionally, the unit is heatproof and waterproof, which makes it a suitable security light for patio, wall, porch, garden, pathway, gutter, and lawn. It is specially made to withstand severe weather conditions. Also, the light’s solar panel absorbs sun rays and produces power so that this light can automatically function without electricity. The type of the solar panel is monocrystalline, which is specifically known for its incredible efficiency.
LITOM SUPER BRIGHT Solar Lights
This convenient four pack offers good value for your money. They are super bright with 600 lumens on the brightest setting. There are different modes to choose from; bright light, dim light and sensor mode. If the light is fully charged it can last up to 40 hours on dim lighting mode for maximum lighting. They only take seven hours to charge in full sunlight. You won’t have to worry about these lights out in the elements since they feature a high waterproof rating and will withstand most conditions.
- Come in a pack of four for extra value
- Waterproof and weather proof
- Come with installation screws
- Only seven hours to charge
- Three modes to choose from to customize usage
- Motion sensor capability for security of your area
- Super bright at about 600 lumens
- Lasts up to 40 hours on dim mode
- Movement can be detected up to 39 feet away
- Price point a little higher than others
- Smaller solar panel than similar lights; will need more direct sunlight
- Super bright might be disturbing to neighbors
- Solar panel is prone to peeling in extreme weather conditions over prolonged time
- Each light is relatively small and won’t cover a large span unless grouped with the others
Litom 77 LEDs Motion Sensor Solar Light
Are you in search of a high quality solar-powered outdoor light for your home? Then it is your lucky day because you have just found the ideal product for your needs. The Litom 77 LEDs Motion Sensor Light is a superb solar-powered light from a super company, and with its outstanding power and incredible illumination, it is sure to solve all your lighting issues.
Furthermore, this unit comes with three optional lighting modes; Sensor mode, dim light sensor light mode, and medium light mode, and all you need to do to choose your ideal mode is to press the knob at the back of the light. Besides, the evenly distributed 77 lights provides incredible bight illumination with 1000 lumens, which means this light is built to meet all your security and lighting needs.
What’s more, the unit comes with an excellent motion sensor which enables the light to reach as far as 26 ft when it’s triggered. Besides, the unit is made of premium PC and ABS material, which means it is waterproof, heatproof, and dustproof, and is sufficiently durable to withstand any kind of weather, regardless of how severe the weather condition is.
And the Winner…
If you are looking to light up your pathway, driveway or just have some additional lighting around your home using the power of the sun, you will want to find the best solar lights to do the job. At first glance, it may seem that most solar lights offer similar features so the decision should be quick but this is not true. You should look for the key characteristics I have outlined here to find the best solar lights for around your space.
In this article, we have reviewed our top picks for the best three solar-powered security lights on the market. While all our picks are highly functional, the model we deem as the most outstanding is the Lampat 62 LEDs Motion Sensor Solar Lights. Apart from the fact that this solar light is very affordable, it also has some excellent features. With its 62 lights, waterproof construction and wide-angle design, this model is our clear winner.
With every passing day, it is becoming clearer and clear that solar energy is the future of the world. In fact, solar energy is expected to dethrone every other source of energy in the next few years. So, as a result of the rise in the popularity of solar energy, several homeowners are starting to shift their attention towards solar-powered lights, which is why we came up with this article.
Hopefully, you have found this guide to finding the best solar lights useful in your hunt for light. If you have comments or questions, please leave them for us—we enjoy hearing your feedback!