Top 8 Best Solar Path Lights in 2018 | Reviews and Top Picks
Adding light to your landscaping design not only gives you practical solutions for navigating in the dark, but also adds ambience and style. In the dark they create a perfect outline of your pathway and driveway giving your space definition. It is important then, that you find the best solar path lights to create this visual effect and light your way safely.
How to Select the Best Solar Path Lights?
When you have decided to decorate and illuminate your outdoor area with pathway solar lights, you will want to find the best ones to do the job and the ones which will match your preferences and style. There are some key characteristics and features which you should keep in mind when you are on the hunt for your path solar lights to ensure you find the best quality, longest lasting and most stylish for your space. These following characteristics and features will help you on your way to the best solar path lights.
- Do not forget to read the article: best solar garden lights
How Many Per Pack?
When you are browsing the shelves and shelves of solar lighting options, you will notice that they all come in various quantities. This is an important consideration when you are making your decision since it will affect your bottom line and how many sets you will need to purchase for your home. You can break down your overall cost per light by dividing the cost by the quantity. If they are wired, you should check how far the set will stretch to get an idea of space you will cover.
Construction of the Body
What materials are used in the construction of each solar light will help you determine how long you can expect them to last. If you are purchasing solar lights made from plastic, they may not stand up to extreme weather conditions as well as stainless steel or aluminum. Of course, the overall construction materials will affect the price point so it should be something you are comfortable with.
Have a look at how you will need to install your new path solar light. Some designs including wiring which leads to a single solar panel, while other sets are completely wireless. The wireless variety will allow you more flexibility and freedom where you install them in your landscaping. The other consideration in terms of installation is how the lights are put into the ground. Each light usually features a ground spike or stake. This should be sturdy and strong since it will be supporting the light through weather and wear.
Brightness and Scope
The entire purpose to adding solar lights to your landscaping design may be to light your way around your yard or driveway or even garden. If the lights you choose are not bright enough for your preference or don’t light a span that covers the area you need them to, they are wasted money. Having said that, some people do prefer softer lighting that isn’t as drastic as electric lighting. Whichever your preference, have a look at how many lumens the light will output. This gives you an idea how bright and far the scope of light will be.
The size of the path solar lights you choose should match the space and area you wish to cover. The length from the tip of the stake to the top of the light gives you the overall size, however, you will have to consider the length of the ground spike before you have the actual measurement of what you will see in your garden.
Design and Appearance
Not only will you benefit from the light your solar lights will provide but they will also add ambience and decoration to your pathways, driveways and any other area you choose to install them. They are made in different designs and shapes. Some feature crackled “glass” lenses for an antique look while others are made with rounded caps and flower-like shapes. They come in different colors and finishes as well, which helps you to match the exact look you are trying to achieve with your landscaping.
Charging and Lasting Power
When you first purchase your solar lights, you will very likely need to fully charge them before they will illuminate in the dark. This means installing them and allowing them to capture in as much sunlight as possible. Every brand has a different charging time so be sure to check on that and to see if the lights must be exposed to direct, full sun to get a good charge. After that, look at how long you can expect them to stay lit once they do come on.
The Best Solar Path Lights to Choose From
**Below, you'll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon
1. Garden Bliss 10 Pack of Outdoor Solar Garden Lights
These simple, yet elegant path solar lights come in a 10 pack which is great to cover longer pathways, driveways and to edge large garden beds. The cost per light is reduced since you get 10 in one package. They are a black plastic design with a solar panel on the top to take in the sunlight and charge. On a full charge, these will last eight hours long. They come with two posts per light so you can customize the height you wish to achieve from 8 inches above ground or 12 inches. Each light has a plastic ground stake to secure it into the ground. Inside each light is a rechargeable battery which lengthens the life of the LED lights to about 20,000 hours.
- Adjustable height to customize your design
- Simple and understated if you want lights to blend in or are not concerned with decoration
- Stand up well against rain and a little snow
- 10 pack offers low per-light cost
- Each light has its own solar panel
- 20,000 hours of life for each LED
- Built-in AA rechargeable batteries
- Easy installation
- Plastic hollow posts can be easily broken
- Low lumen output
- Takes a full day to charge in full sunlight before use
- Only lasts about 8 hours
- Not very decorative
2. Moonrays Richmond Solar LED Path Light
Moonrays have been a popular brand in solar lighting for many years, and this light lives up to their reputation. The tulip shaped glass light shade gives the light an elegant, romantic feel while the metal construction makes it sturdy and durable. These lights come in a two pack with each light having its own large solar panel. Each light boasts 30 lumens, which is 25 times brighter than the average pathway solar light. You can quickly and easily install each light with the included ground stake. They illuminate automatically at dusk and if fully charged, should last until dawn. You will love the starburst light pattern that is reflected because of the ribbed glass light cover.
- Sturdy and durable metal body construction
- Large solar panel helps charge each light quicker
- 30 lumens output for super bright lighting
- Tulip shaped light cover add a soft decorative flare
- Ribbed glass creates starburst lighting effect
- Withstands weather conditions
- 14 inches in height, not including the stake
- Rechargeable batteries in each light
- Not for anyone looking for soft, understated lighting
- Only available as a two pack; will need to purchase more than one package to cover a pathway
- Ground stake made of plastic; may not provide enough support for heavy glass light cover
- Need a full day of sunlight to fully charge before use
- Poor battery life; needs frequent replacing
3. HGTV Solar LED Pathway Lights - 8 pack
If you are looking for a soft, warm glow, these lights will do the job. They come in a cost-effective pack of eight and are easily installed with the included plastic ground stakes. The stainless-steel construction helps each light to stand up well against weather conditions and gives it stability in your landscape. The light covers are made of glass and is a dainty flower shape. Each light has a 3 lumen output.
- Come in a package of eight to lower cost per light
- Stainless-steel body for stability and durability
- Glass light cover adds decorative touch
- Each light has rechargeable battery to lengthen lasting power
- Waterproof for rain and little snow
- About 12 inches in height once in the ground
- Output only 3 lumens
- Only lasts up to 8 hours on full charge
- Span of light is about 2 feet around
- Ground stakes are plastic and may not support the metal and glass well
- Need a full day of sunlight to charge prior to use
4. Cinoton Solar Path Torches
If you are in the market for something a little more unique and exciting, the Cinoton Solar Path Torches might be your thing. They are very decorative for your backyard, deck, dock, and so much more. They offer a dancing flame effect, as if you were lighting the way with tiki torches, yet no dangerous open flame to worry about. They come in a package of two and each light has a magical dancing effect, to imitate the movement of a real flame. They are 31 inches including the plastic stake. Installation is a breeze since they simply drive right into the ground. The top is where you will find the solar panel to collect the solar energy.
- Tall height at 31 inches total
- Dancing flame effect for added ambience and a decorative addition
- Unique design compared to other solar lights
- Lasts from dusk until dawn with 96 LED lights in each
- Can be turned off if you don’t want to use them
- First charge will take up to 2 days of sunlight
- If battery diminishes you must charge for 2 to 3 days before they’ll work again
- Only available in a two pack
- Plastic stake may not be supportive enough for tall height
5. Voona 8-Pack Solar Lights Stainless Steel LED Pathway Landscape lights
This contemporary set comes with eight lights for a cost-effective option to light your space. The ribbed light covers dilute the light enough to give a soft glow without taking away from the brightness. Each light features 6 lumens and will last up to eight hours on a full charge. The stainless-steel construction of the pole and top cover give the light durability through most weather conditions and the plastic light cover won’t shatter like glass. They stand 12 inches from the ground and give off a sunburst pattern of light about three feet in diameter. Each light has a built-in rechargeable battery.
- Eight pack to keep the “per-light” cost lower
- Stainless steel body to stand up over time
- Plastic light cover won’t shatter as glass might
- Beautiful sunburst pattern of light
- Modern design for most landscaping décor
- Lasts only eight hours on full charge
- Plastic ground stakes not very sturdy
- Lightweight lights may be easily knocked over by animals, lawn mowers, extreme weather
- Need as much direct sunlight as possible
6. GIGALUMI Solar Lights Outdoor Garden Led Light Landscape / Pathway Lights Stainless Steel-6 Pack
The Gigalumi set is very decorative and modern to suit most landscaping designs. The round light cover is pineapple-like and filters the light to give a beautiful effect. The tube and top cap are constructed of stainless steel for a longer life expectancy since it will stand up to weather and other potential outdoor hazards. These lights will come on automatically at dark and stay lit for up to 8 hours on full charge. Each light measures 13.8 inches from the tip of the stake to the top.
- Six pack is cost-effective
- Stainless steel tubing and cap are durable and long-lasting
- Pineapple shaped light cover for a unique look
- Included rechargeable battery in each light
- Only takes about 8 hours to charge fully
- Lightweight—may be easily knocked over by animals, weather or lawn cutting
- Ground stake made of plastic not stainless steel
- Very low lumen output
- Lasts only 8 hours on a full charge
7. Plow & Hearth Set of 4 Solar Garden Path Lights
This simple, yet pretty set of four solar lights features clear glass light covers to allow as much light as possible to shine through and light up your area. The body and top cap are made of die cast aluminum, which stands up perfectly to most weather conditions and is strong enough to be hammered into the ground. Each light has a large solar panel to channel in sunlight and light up for about eight hours on full charge. They boast an amazing 50 lumens output for a super bright illumination. Standing at 23 inches in height, they won’t be missed in your garden.
- Aluminum construction is super strong and weather resistant; will last for a long time
- Clear glass light cover allows lots of light to flow
- 50 lumens each
- Tall height at 23 inches
- Bronze finish for added decoration to your landscaping
- Four pack for lower cost per light
- Stands up to most weather conditions
- Only lasts about eight hours on full charge
- Ground spike is plastic despite aluminum body
- Top heavy design could be easily knocked over
- May be too tall for some landscaping needs
8. Voona 6-Pack Solar Lights, Stainless Steel Bollard Solar Path Light
When it comes to unique, new-age design, Voona Solar lights top the list. Their cylinder shape and stainless-steel body give a very modern feel to your landscaping projects. Each light has a soft 5 lumen output through a frosted plastic cover. They mark your pathways, driveway and gardens with understated simple light. These lights last up to 8 hours on a full charge. They are just over 14 inches tall including the ground spike. Each light has a built-in rechargeable battery for longer life.
- Six pack lowers the per light cost
- Stainless steel body is durable and longer lasting than plastic
- Modern and unique design for contemporary spaces
- Automatically come on at dusk
- Only last about 8 hours on full charge
- Each light has a low output of 5 lumens
- Ground stake is very short, may not be stable enough to support the light in all conditions
- Smaller height may get lost in gardens with taller plants and flowers
- Need a lot of direct sunlight to fully charge
The Winner of the Best Solar Path Lights…
If you are looking for a way to light up your landscaping, driveway or other outdoor space but don’t want to use electricity, you are likely looking at which are the best solar path lights out there. In my opinion, from the outlined products above, the winner is the Plow & Hearth Set of Four Solar Lights.
The aluminum construction of the body and top cover give this light a leg-up on the other lights since they won’t rust and are strong enough to withstand most weather conditions. You can remove the glass cover and drive the light into the ground with a hammer without damaging the post. If they are too tall for your landscape design, simply drive a portion of the body/tubing into the ground as well. This will make the light even sturdier in the ground.
Having six LED lights within each light means a bright 50 lumen output to give your space loads of lighting for up to eight hours, which is fine for most dusk until dawn applications. The fact that they come in a set of four means you probably only need a couple of sets to complete the look.
Hopefully this guide has been helpful in deciding which are the best solar path lights to bring home for your space. Following the key features and characteristic will aid you in your shopping journey and ensure you find exactly what you are looking for. Please feel free to leave a comment or question, we love to hear from you!