Whether you are looking for safety and security or just to add ambiance and atmosphere, finding the best solar spotlights for your home can seem like an overwhelming task with so many on the market. The key to finding the right lights is to keep in mind some key features and details which may set some out above the others. Once you get to know what you are looking for, your decision will be much easier and clearer to make.
Our 5 Favorite Solar Spot Lights
The Best Solar Spot Lights Available
**Below, you’ll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer’s reviews on Amazon
1. InnoGear Upgraded Solar Lights 2-in-1 Waterproof Outdoor Landscape Lighting
With each spotlight having its own solar panel, these lights can provide a decent amount of light. The included ground spikes make installation as easy as pushing them into the ground in your area of choice, or you can opt to wall mount them using the included screws as well. The solar panels are easily adjusted to angle in the perfect direction to catch the sun’s rays. They are waterproof, heatproof, and provide a 200-lumen output. They are made from high-resistance ABS plastic. The package of two lights is a fair value. These lights will stay illuminated for 4 to 6 hours on high or 8 to 12 hours on low brightness. The total charge time to full is 8 hours.
- checkBright output at 200 lumens per spot light
- checkWater-proof, heat proof and feature a protective frosted lens
- checkGround spikes and wall screws are included for a choice of installation
- checkAdjustable solar panels to catch sunlight in many directions
- check8 hour charge up time
- checkTwo modes of use—high or low brightness
- power-offNo motion sensor mode; remains lit constantly
- power-offSensitive to light therefore must be installed in dark area to work in the night
- power-offConstructed of ABS instead of steel
- power-offGround spikes are only plastic and may not handle ground frost in colder months
- power-offOn high brightness will only last 4 to 6 hours—not all night long
- power-offOnly comes in a two pack
2. OPERNEE Motion Sensor Solar Powered Security 6 LED Landscape Light
This two pack of solar spot lights offers two modes of use for those looking for flexibility. If you prefer to use these as a security feature, they have a motion detector, working up to 26 feet away. Alternatively, you can have them illuminated all night long on a high or low brightness setting.
Each light has 6 LED lights for a total output of 300 lumens. The adjustable solar panel is great to catch sunlight in many directions. To install these spot lights, you can choose to drive them into the ground with the detachable ground spikes or using the including wall screws.
- checkAdjustable height
- checkIncluded ground spikes and wall screws and hinges for choice of installation
- checkMultiple modes of use—motion detected light only, High brightness constantly, low brightness constantly or low brightness with a high brightness motion detector light
- checkBright output at 300 lumens per spot light
- checkCharge time only 4 to 5 hours
- checkWeather proof for adverse conditions
- power-offMade of ABS and other plastics
- power-offLasting time is varied due to multiple use options
- power-offSolar panels are not very large in width
- power-offOnly adjust up and down, not side to side
- power-offInstalling to a wall may be a little more involved than others
3. Solar Spotlights 2-in-1 Waterproof Outdoor Landscape Lighting
These solar spot lights feature 9 LED lights each and output a total of 180 lumens. The light and solar panel are both adjustable to catch the sunlight and aim the light as needed. Included are wall mount screws and ground spikes so you can choose how to install them. There are two modes of use which include high power brightness and low power brightness. The lasting time can vary between 4 to 12 hours. These lights are water-resistant and made of plastic.
- checkLights and solar panels are adjustable up to 110°
- check9 LED lights per solar light
- checkCan be mounted on a wall or in ground with included ground spikes
- checkTwo modes of use: high brightness and low brightness
- checkOn low brightness can stay lit for up to 12 hours
- check6 to 8 hours to fully charge
- checkAuto on and off for sunset and sunrise
- power-offOn high brightness only illuminates for about 4 to 6 hours
- power-offMade of all plastic parts, no steel/metal
- power-offWater resistant, not necessarily waterproof in heavy rainfall conditions
- power-offWithout direct sunlight they may not fully charge
- power-offNot very tall once inserted into the ground
4. Robust Natural White Solar Spotlights
The Robust set of two solar spotlights features a separate solar panel which can be placed within the area of direct sunlight while the lights can be installed elsewhere. They are corded to the solar panel, therefore there are distance limitations. Their power level is adjustable in low, medium and high brightness for complete customization of your lighting. They are both heatproof and waterproof and even work well in cold winter months. Each light will output 200 lumens in total and can last for a variable time, depending upon use.
- checkExtra large size solar panel (10”x 6”)
- checkSolar panel can be placed in direct sunlight
- check3 modes of use; low, medium and high brightness
- checkCould last from dusk until dawn on lowest brightness
- checkCharges in 6 to 8 hours to full charge
- checkIncludes ground spikes for quick installation
- checkWaterproof and heatproof
- checkWorks well in cold winter months
- power-offNo wall mount option
- power-offYou must keep the solar panel and lights within 16 feet of each other
- power-offConstructed completely of plastic
- power-offIllumination lasts only short time if used solely on high setting
5. DrawGreen Solar Lights Outdoor Wireless Security Lighting
If you are looking for a super bright, security option, this solar spotlight will get the job done. It is a wall mount spot light with 1400-lumen output, which is equivalent to a 110-watt light bulb. This light is made from durable aluminum alloy which will stand up through even rough weather conditions.
The light is fully charged after 6 to 8 hours of sunlight and can last up to 30 hours of lighting time. It has a motion sensor of 360° to provide safety and security to your space up to 26 feet away. It is waterproof, explosion proof and heatproof. The solar panel is adjustable as well, to catch sunlight at whatever angle you find it to be. It works by having a weaker, soft light come on at dark and a high intensity bright light come on with the sensor.
- checkSuper bright output on motion sensor mode; 1400 lumens
- checkConstructed of durable aluminum alloy
- checkAdjustable solar panel to aim at the sunlight where it is
- checkCan detect motion up to 26 feet away at a 360 angle
- checkOnly takes 6 to 8 hours to fully charge
- checkLasts about 30 hours on a full charge
- checkGreat for use in all climates and weather conditions
- checkSmall discreet size but still powerful despite size
- power-offNo ground installation option; wall mount only
- power-offMust be installed at a minimum of 6 feet high
- power-offMotion detector is sensitive and may trigger often if you have a lot of movement around the house
- power-offBright motion light only stays on for about 30 seconds unless more motion is detected
- power-offHigher price point due to higher quality materials used
How Do I Choose Quality Spot Lights?
The key to finding which spotlights will work best in your chosen area is to ensure the ones you select will meet your needs and wants. What may work for one space, may not work for another, so it is important to keep this in mind first and foremost. With your choice of space in mind, you can then look at some other features or extras which will determine your best choice.
The spot light you select should be easy for you to install where you would like it to be used. This means if you will need it to shine from above, you should choose one which is capable of being mounted on a wall. However, if you want a spot light to shine from the ground up, included ground spikes will make installation a breeze.
Scope of Light
Surprisingly, this is a feature many people do not check before buying and then once they have their light installed are greatly disappointed. Check the packaging for the size of the area the spotlight will cover. It should give you a radius that will help you determine if this will be enough area lit up where you will be installing the fixture.
Sometimes bigger is not better. If you are trying to be discreet with your solar spotlight, then you will want to select one which will be less noticeable and smaller than others. It is important to note, the scope of light can be affected by the size of the spotlight you choose since larger lights have more room to work with. If you are selecting a spotlight that lights from the ground upwards, you should also check on the height of the light not including the ground spike.
What are the solar lights made of which you are thinking of buying? Some may come in a mixture of materials from polyresin to steel or aluminum. These materials will give you a good idea of how long the lights should last and how durable they will be against the elements and outdoor conditions. The best choice, if possible, is aluminum or steel since they tend to be stronger and stand up over time.
Lasting Power/Charge Time
Since you are choosing solar spotlights, one of the most important features you should consider is how long the light will illuminate on one charge. It would be ideal to have a light that lasts for at least 10 hours to get through long nights with changing seasons if you live in such a climate. The other side of the coin is how long it should take to charge the light and will it require DIRECT sunlight. Some solar lights will not charge properly if not placed in direct sunlight during daytime hours. Depending on where you will place the lights, this could be an issue.
If you live in an ever-changing climate, you want to ensure the lights you choose will hold up against the weather. Downpouring rain and heavy snowfall can take their toll on solar lights that are not properly weatherproofed. The materials that are used in the construction of the light will help determine if weather may be an issue.
Modes of Use
The key to a great solar spotlight is that it will shine brightly in one concentrated area. However, if you do not want a consistent spotlight illuminated all night long, you should opt for a light that offers different modes of use. Some are available with sensors to come on only if motion is detected. These are great for security purposes. Others provide a soft spotlight for accent lighting and ambiance. You need to decide on your intended purpose.
The Winner Is…
You may be looking for a solar spotlight to add a little ambiance and decoration to your outdoor space, or you may be hoping to have added security and safety by lighting a darkened area. Whichever the reason for your desired purchase, you will want to find the best solar spotlight available to meet your exact needs and preferences. In my opinion, the winner here is the OPERNEE Motion Sensor Solar Powered Security 6 LED Landscape Light.
This set of two solar spotlights offers the most variety in use compared to the others. You can opt for low or high brightness consistently, motion sensor only, or low brightness with high brightness motion sensor. The adaptability to wall mount or place in the ground is convenient as well.
Having each light output 300 lumens means you won’t have to worry about underlighting your space. They last a variety of times depending on your chosen use but only take 6 to 8 hours to charge fully. You can adjust the height and the angle of the solar panel, both great customization features.
Hopefully, this guide has been helpful to find the best solar spotlights for your space. Please leave a question or comment, we enjoy your feedback!