What’s the Best Solar Flashlight? Top 10 Revealed
Imagine being able to share light everywhere you go. No, this isn’t a religious message – this is about the gospel of – get ready – solar flashlights! You’d be surprised how many companies today are making it their business to help people both at home and abroad carry light with them everywhere they go, so they can be their most productive selves all the time. First, there was Edison’s incandescent light; and now, there’s the solar flashlight. The future has arrived!
Solar Flashlight FAQ
It may sound remarkably straightforward, but we want to make sure you understand the ins and outs of the solar flashlight. Without further ado, let’s get started.
What Is a Solar Flashlight?
A solar flashlight is a flashlight that is powered by the sun; so it’s a combination of a solar panel or set of solar panels, a battery, and a flashlight, which is usually an LED or light-emitting diode for power conservation purposes. LED’s use less energy than traditional light bulbs.
2. What Does a Solar Flashlight Do?
If you’ve never heard of a solar flashlight, you might be wondering why anyone would need a flashlight when there’s solar power easily available. After all, what’s the point of using power from the sun to power a flashlight? Why not simply use the sunlight instead? The secret lies in the battery in the solar flashlight which stores the energy for later when the sun goes away.
How Does a Solar Flashlight Work?
It’s very simple, really. During the day, when the sun is out, you leave the solar flashlight, solar panels and all, exposed to the light of the sun. The flashlight’s solar panels absorb the energy from the sun, and sometimes other light-emitting sources, and convert that solar light energy into electrical signals, which is transferred by wires to the flashlight’s battery. In the battery, all that once-solar energy is stored as chemical energy.When the sun goes away, when you’re ready to use all that energy that has been stored in your solar flashlight’s battery, the power is released through the wires as electrical energy, and then the light in your flashlight, usually an LED, converts that electrical energy back into light energy. Some of the solar flashlights we’ll be looking at actually transfer the stored battery energy to other kinds of devices besides LED’s or lights.For instance, the energy might go to a USB socket that can be used to charge your cell phone, where the energy from your flashlight’s battery will simply be converted back into chemical energy in your phone.
Where Can You Buy a Solar Flashlight?
Walmart Online tends to beat Amazon on price almost every time, but because Amazon takes advantage of retail tax law loopholes, it can ship almost anywhere nearly tax-free.
What Else Can a Solar Flashlight Do?
Invest in a good solar flashlight, and it will serve as a perpetual source of light to you and last a long time. Invest in a cheap one, with a bad battery, and you may end up throwing it out or worse, you might end up stranded in a survival situation without power and light.
How We Reviewed
Image from Amazon
We reviewed these flashlights based on their overall value for what we were paying for them. We tend to be very mindful of overall value versus price alone because you can spend pennies on a cheap product that will break down and cause you lots of stress later on. In the realm of Solar Powered Flashlights, what we really cared about the most was – just how effective are they at collecting and storing energy as the most base, rudimentary function?
And a strong runner-up question was, what will the solar flashlights allow you to do with that energy? How easy is it to convert into power for your cell phone? Also, how does it stand up to the elements? Will it leave you high and dry, or is this an investment that will be there when you need it the most?We did our best to put ourselves in your shoes and then ask, “How much does this impress us?” Thankfully, with few exceptions, the manufacturers here don’t fail to surprise us!
Overall Price Range of This Product (and Similar Products)
Describe the price range of this product. Then, explain some things that a higher priced model might get you that a lower priced model might not.
What We Reviewed
- Goal Zero Torch 250 Flashlight
- Solar Cell iPhone Smartphone Charger/Flashlight
- NPET T09 Solar Flashlight
- ECEEN Solar Powered Flashlight
- FKANT Solar Charger Power Bank with LED Flashlight
- Ingleby Solar Powered Flashlight
- WakaWaka Power+ Solar-Powered Flashlight
- EBAT LED Solar Powered Spotlight
- Hybridlight Journey Solar Waterproof Flashlight
- ACCTENIK Solar Flashlight
- OxyLED Diving LED Flashlight
- Built-in solar panel, USB charging cable, and hand-crank for light anywhere
- Multiple light options that allow to use as a 250 total lumen output flashlight, floodlight or red emergency light
- Save on power with bright and half-bright modes
- Long-lasting, advanced lithium 4400mAh battery and integrated
- USB port charges phones and boosts tablets to stay connected
- Run Time: 7 – 48 Hours
The Goal Zero Geotorch is all about the lights. We mean, they included a ton of lighting options. It’s sure to impress your friends as well as be functional with its sleek design, most useful among frequent travelers. We say that because a floodlight is sure to blind you in the dark. It’s also got a nice red emergency light that comes in handy when you’re on that road trip, and the unexpected happens.Save your car battery and let the Goal Zero do the heavy lifting when it comes to alerting other cars and keeping them safely out of the way. The Goal Zero Torch also includes a crank generator. It will also keep your phones full of energy!
Our editors found the Goal Zero Torch Flashlight to be more than durable and to hold up to the extreme light of the sun, though if you’re going to be depending upon solar power for a charge, be prepared to wait a long time.
- Red emergency flashers
- Decent longevity
- Charges USB devices.
- The crank takes forever
Solar Power Bank, Qi Portable Charger 10,000mAh External Battery Pack Type C Input Port Dual Flashlight
- Qi Certified Wireless Charger (QI-ID 3533)
- 10000mAh Portable Power Bank
- Solar Charger for Outdoor Activity
- Dual Flashlight Work as Torch
- Complimentary Compass Kit
We should let you know first off before you read this amazing review for a fantastic device that this Solar Cell iPhone Smartphone Charger/Flashlight is a true classic, but it may be hard to find! It’s so popular that unfortunately many of our readers are hard-pressed to find it anywhere.It’s quite the hot gift, and it’s made to charge in the hot sun, baby! When it comes to solar charging, this is a solar flashlight that can not only take the heat but hold the energy from that heat, too!The makers have even included a compass. However, it’s loaded with features that make it equally ideal for both the middle of nowhere as well as any given home power outage where you need to stay connected to the outside world.
This is one of our top picks for reliability among the very best solar flashlights.
- Robust solar power-saving bank
- Powerful yet portable
- Many light sequences for emergencies
- Water-resistant and dust-proof
- Long-lasting battery
- Extremely big capacity
- Charge two USB devices at once
- Great if you’re stuck in a storm
- Difficult to find among major retailers
- 7 Working Modes Flashlight
- Car Emergency Escape Tool
- Reliable and Necessary
- Rechargeable Emergency Power Bank
Sporting more of a traditional flashlight shape, the NPET Solar Flashlight surprises the casual observer with the power you’d never expect to come out of such a compact and retro-looking flashlight! Any number of its light features last 4 hours at the very least, usually closer to 5 or 6 out of the box, and on a good charge. It’s also got some of the functionality of a police flashlight, including its durable construction’s ability to break windows.
Solid aluminum construction is designed to withstand abuse by water and direct pressure. You can likely run over this with your truck, and it will still work!
- Water and shock resistant
- Takes lots of abuse
- USB charges flashlight or another device
- Powerful magnet for easy mounting
- Lasts at least 4 hours, any function
- Needs two lithium-ion batteries
Solar Powered Tactical Flashlight Multi Function Outdoor Car LED Flashlight Ultra Bright Torch Light
- Super Bright Tactical Flashlight : 3W LED, 80 lumens powerful light shows super bright for about 200 meters lighting distance, suitable for living, camping, driving and outdoor sports.
- Multi Function All In One: attack hammer for car emergency escape in emergencies; built in compass and light flasher helps you not to loss in the dark; powerful magnet on the side of the flashlight head could be attached to the car or other metallic surface.
If the BGLOROSS Solar Powered Flashlight were any more eco-friendly, it would be a tree. Introducing solid aluminum alloy ruggedness with the power of a high-capacity 600mAH battery you can recharge over and over again, and for a fraction of the price of most of the other big dogs – dogs powered by the sun, that is!
This aluminum alloy stands up to a lot.
- Powerful, blinding LED
- Lights up to 50 meters
- Non-slip design for out in the wild
- Holds charge for three years
- Eco-friendly sun power for your light
- Also charges via USB
- 3 hours of light per charge
- The light dims with use
- Constant recharges needed for brightness
- Two charging options: (MAIN CHARGE) you can use the included micro USB cable and plug it in to your wall plug or (EMERGENCY) you can put the charger in direct sunlight to charge
- High Capacity: built-in 30000mAh battery, this charger is a great choice for camping trips or other outdoor activities where outlets are scarce
- Dual USB output charging ports and Charge Fast: allow you to charge 2 digital devices simultaneously, also, it charges your phone very fast with the 2.1 usb port
This device is all about grabbing power and hanging on to it, and here at Solar Equipment World, we like power. Can you say 15,000mAh? Our jaws are on the floor. And wait until you see the ports! Oh, USB ports.If Apple makes good on their threat to get away from USB ports, we will leave Apple forever. Apple, you stay USB compatible! Do you hear us? Because your Apple isn’t worth this powerful Dualpow Solar Charger Power Bank, and neither is your Android.Your Windows phone definitely isn’t worth any of it, for sure! It’s the solar-charging power bank to end all portable power banks, and it just happens to have a really cool light in case you’re having trouble with the one on your phone, or need to be able to see to turn on your phone’s flashlight. You know, the phone that’s worth less than this charger and power bank!
This device is perhaps designed for drier situations like home emergencies, and situations where you can keep it safely inside your car and protected from the elements. It can be less reliable when left to the mercy of the elements. Depending on the individual device, you may get a defective model that doesn’t stand up to the heat so well, as some of our readers have reported.
- Shock and water resistant
- Ultra-bright LED beads
- Charge 2 USB devices at once
- Compatible with every USB device
- Emergency flasher capability
- Some devices defective
- Less durable outside
- The flashlight provides 300 lumens of light that reach a distance of 300 meters.
- The flashlight has 3 modes: high-low-SOS, all accessed via the single rubber push button at its base.
- The flashlight can be use as lighting source, as well as a move solar power bank for phone and most other equipment.
- Portable, with strap on the tail cap, can be put in your pocket or hung on your bag.
- It has dual rechargeable modes: outdoor charging in the sun and indoor charging by USB Cable.
Like the NPET model we featured earlier, this solar flashlight of solar flashlights looks – like a flashlight! However, that ultra-cool, easy-grip siding is absorbing the sun when it’s not keeping your fingers from slipping. It’s a great value, and it can be recharged in several ways.
We expect that the aluminum will provide somewhat rugged protection for years to come, though you may not get the meaty design of the more expensive models, like the NPET. It doesn’t boast that you can break out of your car with it like the NPET.
- Charge flashlight by USB or solar
- 2-way USB charges your other devices
- High-power beam
- Built-in strap
- Powerful LED
- Aluminum material
- SOS light modes
- Newer market entrant
- Not built to break out of your car with
- Robust powerbank with 3 USB ports for simultaneous charging
- 10,000 mAh battery can recharge your smartphone up to four times
- Battery status notification
- Battery protection for durability and overheating prevention
Probably the significant feature of the WakaWaka Power+Solar-Powered Flashlight is its marketing campaign. YouTube it and you’ll find videos of an SJW kind of campaign that promises that if you buy one of the flashlights, they’ll give one to a starving child in a third-world nation.That said, it’s a decently put-together product with mediocre to decent reviews upon its initial release. Maybe that’s why Amazon didn’t reorder. In any event, they put together some really cool promo vids!
The outer shell is durable and recycled, but the product just doesn’t work for too many of our editors and readers; so while it may not break easily externally, the mechanics of the thing simply don’t hold up to the sun, which simply doesn’t seem to charge the unit.
- Five lighting modes, including SOS beacon
- Solar and traditional charging
- Charges your USB devices
- All recycled material in the shell
- Solar panels fail to charge the phone
- 2-way USB = devices drain each other
- A HIGH-POWERFUL LIGHT WHERE YOU NEED IT MOST
- HIGH QUENITY MATERIAL & Waterproof
- POWER – UP TO 20 HOURS
It’s not just another flashlight among our solar flashlights; it’s a spotlight!
Rugged handle, built to last in the outdoors with a powerful 400mAh lithium battery you won’t need to replace. Great warranty.
- Powerful spotlight power
- Built for the outdoors
- Made in the USA – at least the LED
- Charges via solar or power cable
- Difficult to find at major retailers
- HYBRID SOLAR RECHARGEABLE: Charge using the built in solar panel outdoors OR indoors under incandescent lighting, OR by connecting via the included USB cable for rapid charge
- CHARGE OUT TO MOBILE DEVICES: Connect using the included USB cable to charge cell phones and other mobile devices while away from home or during power outages
- EXTREMELY DURABLE AND WATERPROOF: Tested to 3 meters and it floats so you won’t lose it
- DUAL MODE: High or Low Beam. Super bright LED shines for up to 25 hours on low beam and 7 hours on high producing 160 lumens of bright white light
- HOLDS A CHARGE FOR YEARS: Always ready when you need it. Perfect for any emergency
You’ll have to try hard to lose this journey of a flashlight that’s so bright even when it’s off it may keep your world lit up! Which may come in handy under water – the defining characteristic that separates this guy from the rest of the pack. So while you don’t want to drop it while crossing that stream – if you do, it’s not the end of the world.
The only solidly waterproof candidate among our powerful contenders, the Hybridlight Journey Solar Waterproof Flashlight scores big-time in the durability department!
- Charge via solar or USB
- Use it to charge your devices
- Pricier end of our spectrum
For the ultimate in durability, the NPET comes pretty close for its ability to break out of cars. Regarding inventiveness and construction, the waterproof Hybridlight Journey is impressive in that most of the solar flashlights stop at “water resistant,” where the Hybridlight Journey goes all the way under water.Our five-star winner here is the rugged EBAT LED spotlight. In the unlikely event its durable construction doesn’t live up to your expectations either physically or functionally, the manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. That said, good luck securing one of them for yourself because they were all gone when we checked!